[vorbis-dev] Metadata streams

rillian at telus.net rillian at telus.net
Fri Apr 13 14:44:29 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, April 11, 2001, at 06:50 , Aaron Plattner wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:18:44PM -0700, rillian at telus.net wrote:
>> Because you can also chain ogg bitstreams, in practice this isn't much
>> of a limitation. If you need to add a new substream "in the middle" you
>> can just finish off the current streams and then restart a new bundle
>> that includes the additional track. Players should be able to handle
>> this without significant glitching.
>
> Ok.  Although, it seems to me that if you write your player in a
> modular way it
> should be able to handle new streams even if they don't start in a
> bundle.  And
> players that can't handle multiplexed streams should simply ignore the
> pages
> anyway.  I fail to see how this adds all that much complexity.  At
> least you
> have to check page serial numbers and discard ones you don't want, and
> at most
> you have to keep a table of decoder plugin states.

> A decoder that deals with
> multiple streams has to keep internal state ANYWAY, so it might as well
> be
> modular and extensible.

That's what I thought, but Monty said no. I bowed to his superior
experience. :)

> It's not really that big of a deal, but I thought it'd be neat to be
> able to
> embed arbitrary auxillary streams along with the audio/video streams.
> An
> example would be coverart for an album, where each image is in its own
> stream.

I agree that a streaming context is the only place where embedding cover
art is at all important. I'm not sure it's as big an issue as you're
imagining, though; I can't see streaming more than ~100k images in an
application like that, which is less than 10% of the audio data. (except
maybe for bumpers) I guess 'cramming at the end' could still raise your
bitrate 50-100%, worst case. Sending over a separate connection is
another solution.

  -r