[vorbis-dev] Interesting coding problem ..

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri Sep 29 01:12:09 PDT 2000

Rob Fletcher <rpf1 at york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a track which when encoded with Mode_C or even Mode_E does
> not encode well at all ...
>
> It's a jazz flute track with a lot of plate echo.
>
> The flute (centred in the mix) almost disappears ...

There are samples that don't sound good even using Mode 6 (oggenc beta2)
like http://sivut.koti.tpo.fi/julaak/Horn.wav  (2.1MB)

But I think it is still early for hard-to-encode test samples... vorbis is
still under heavy developement. When vorbis encoder reaches full
implementation of all planned features, then it will be ready for more
sophisticated tunning and that is the point when test samples are welcomed.
I think it will take another year of developement before vorbis reaches full
maturity - like MP+ - it was a crappy encoder last year when it appeared and
now it is almost perfect...
You know the saying - patience is a virtue... :-)

Greetings,
Aleksandar