[vorbis-dev] longs

Rob Fletcher rpf1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Sep 12 01:46:05 PDT 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Monty wrote:

> > > C is the way it is for a reason, even if the decided upon spec turned out to be
> > > 'not entirely sufficient'.  Forcing an Alpha to use 32 bit ints, for example,
> > > is a good way to kill integer performace (as Windows NT for Alpha partially
> > > demostrates).
> >
> > How about using int_min32 or something that guarantees a type which has
> > 32 bits or more and is efficient on the platform?
>
> Uhh.. that *is* what I suggested.

Seems sensible to me. OpenGL tries to be platform independent in a similar
way, and the way the various datatypes are handled is just as crucial for
performance (let alone making the code work!).

Nice to see that PSII will have vorbis ... any commercial interest? I
work with (not for!) a company who do PSII games - perhaps I should
have words with them too! Mainly speech, but some background music.

Regards,

Rob.

| Dr R P Fletcher    (Rob)   | Email     R.Fletcher at york.ac.uk    |
| Graphics Coordinator       | Phone     +44 (0)1904 433816       |
| Computing Service          | Frontdesk +44 (0)1904 433800       |
| University of York         | Fax       +44 (0)1904 433740       |
| YORK YO10 5DD, UK          | ICQ UIN   4019164                  |