[vorbis-dev] Adding oggenc support for files other than WAV?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Sep 11 00:22:37 PDT 2000

At 09:15 PM 9/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>  Is anyone working on making oggenc use some nice library that reads lots
of different audio file formats so that people can encode from files other
than WAV?  For example, the 'AudioFile' library (just found it via a search
on freshmeat) reads wav, aiff, aiff-c, .au, and .snd.  Maybe there are
other better libraries (OpenAL, maybe), but this library does what I want
(read AIFF).

It's somewhere on my list of things to do, but I'm not likely to have time
soon - feel free to have a go.

Oggenc was designed so that this would be VERY straightforward to
implement. There's a static array somewhere near the start which oggenc
walks through. This contains function pointers and misc. other info. Oggenc
will try each of these in turn until one returns successfully. This
function is responsible for setting up some other variables and function
pointers which are used for oggenc to read raw audio data.

It's completely untested, since only wav reading currently exists, but it's
not conceptually all that difficult - so I think it should work.

Michael