[vorbis-dev] Closed Source Releases (Ekk a LGPL problem)

David Terrell dbt at meat.net
Thu Sep 7 15:45:59 PDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 06:26:31PM -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, David Terrell wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 11:06:32PM +0200, David Burnett wrote:
> > > Hi every one,
> > >     I have an unfortunate need to release a closed source BeOS media codec
> > >  for Vorbis, basically I'm using headers under an NDA so I can't release
> > > them.
> > >  (Yeah I know closed source boo hiss).
> > > So I have a couple of question about what I need to do for all this
> > > to be above board.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, that's simply not possible under the GPL.
> > To meet your qualifications, you'll need to reimplement the vorbis
> > codec from spec.
> [snip]
>
> Vorbis *is not* GPLed. It's LGPLed, and that is very differnt.

Correct -- but the LGPL only removes the "dependant works must be
GPLed" clause -- it must still function with open components,
standard operating system facilities notwithstanding.

--
David Terrell            | "I went into Barnes and Noble to look for a
Prime Minister, Nebcorp  | book on A.D.D., but I got bored and left."