[vorbis-dev] Windows CE support

Christian Czech cc at derago.com
Sun Sep 3 23:48:25 PDT 2000

> . Well and if you play on a Mobile device it would be a good thing to copy
> the ogg file from a Compact Flash card or IBM Microdrive to internal memory
> before playing because this saves battery power.
>
> I can help out on writing ATA drivers for CF, if someone can do the actual
> programming.....

The problem is not to access the drive. It works nicely on CE without any driver. But the Microdrive is a hard disk in Compact Flash form factor with about 1 GB of storage and it uses much more power than normal internal SDRAM or Flash Storage. So if you access it constantly your batteries will last less than 2 hours. But if you cache it in internal RAM the hard disk goes to sleep for the length of a song say 5 minutes. The easiest thing is just to copy the song file to internal storage and the best thing to use an internal cache in vorbis.

CC