[vorbis-dev] end-user mode for a moment (side-by-side tests)

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Sep 13 23:14:18 PDT 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Kenneth Arnold wrote:

> Thanks, Ralph, for the Ogg todo sent a while ago. I've only now got to really
> studying it and looking at what to do. Looks like video is it. So a couple
> questions for the list:

Glad it was helpful. If anyone's interested, I've put up a version at
http://snow.ashlu.bc.ca/ogg/todo.html

> 1. Where's the Tarkin source anyway?

Jack's still sitting on it?

The wavelet part wouldn't be hard to re-create I think. A good exercise
anyway (where have you heard that before?) Just look for a basic tutorial
on the web. The quantization is probably trickier.

> 2. I am aware that Tarkin uses wavelets. MPEG uses object detection and
> motion estimation. What other methods are out there? Does anybody know
> of any new, cool methods for compressing video? Or, failing that, does
> anybody know [of] anyone who does?

Aren't wavelets new? Especially as a 2+1 dimensional transform. If you
want a larger space for the encoder to play in, Monty has pointed out
Steve Mann's work on chirplets. My understanding in that direction pretty
much stops at a hunch it might by fruitful. :-)

http://wearcam.org/chirplet.html

Note that including a series of frames (time) in the transform domain is a
form of motion compensation, and a sophisticated one.

Hope that helps,
 -r

giles at ashlu.bc.ca