[vorbis-dev] Ogg VEO Codec, video in an Ogg stream

Jelle Foks jelle-foks at list.dedris.nl
Fri Sep 1 01:50:56 PDT 2000

Sean Wieland wrote:

> What is the feasibility of developing this wavelet-based video codec
> concurrently with the Vorbis audio codec so that they can be multiplexed
> into an Ogg stream as an alternative to the restrictive MPEG-4?
>
> If there were a few more full-time developers, could this be done before
> 2001?

I can tell you what I think.

Before 2001, that would be only 4 months. Something may be useable then,
but I doubt it will pose any competition to MPEG-4. When you mean
'before 2001 is over', then it's entirely different.

Well, I counted 7 people in this thread already, plus yourself. So at
least there is an interest. I think MPEG-4 itself is currently in a
state where you _can_ make a codec implementation of it, but due to the
complexity of things such as object recognition and classification,
developing a codec that gets the best compression possible out of MPEG-4
will probably take years if it will ever be. Hence, that 'competition'
of ogg video is still in it's infancy itself.

I think if we manage to get a good team together with both researchers
and coders, and we find a good balance between developing a good
algorithm and getting oggvideo code into a lot of mainstream apps, we
make a good chance in taking over MPEG at least in the Internet domain.
The only disadvantage I see is that some large players have already
announced the intention to use MPEG4 in the future for certain
non-Internet applications (such as digital satellite video). Plus, we'll
have H.26L to deal with maybe 2H2001.

If anybody wishes to commit resources/money to the project, I would
suggest setting up a 'base', where the legal activities take place
(patent searches), and where people compare the quality of the suggested
methods with existing implementations of MPEGx and H.26x (identify
problem area's where improvements are necessary (image quality,
compression ratio, error resilience, latency, etc)). But I suppose
supporting/hiring some people so that they can spend more time on the
project isn't too bad an idea as well.

Cheers,

Jelle.