[vorbis-dev] UTF-8 to ISO 8859-1 converter

rob at emusic.com rob at emusic.com
Wed Oct 25 16:53:18 PDT 2000

On 25 Oct, Nick Burch wrote:

> I have a small GPL program to do this in Java, but I suspect that won't be much
> help .... Let me know if you want a copy

Did you write that code? Would you be willing to let me (vorbis,
libmusicbrainz) use it under LGPL?

>>This will become an issue for Vorbis before too long -- once I find a
>>function that meets the above criteria we might want to consider
>>including it as part of vorbis in some form. I'd prefer to offer a
>>solution to the people who intend to use vorbis, rather than programs
>>not correctly handling international characters.
>
> I think UTF-8 is the right way to go for internationalisation. Given the
> (increasing) support out there for UTF-8, and a definate increase in awareness
> of the problems in not internationalising, shouldn't you be pestering the
> FreeAmp developers to start supporting UTF-8?

I am the lead FreeAmp developer. :-) Our users have been asking for
strong internationalization support, but at this point in time we can't
take the time to make it happen. So, for the time being, I need to
convert the data back to ISO in order for it to be useful in FreeAmp.

Don't get me wrong -- I see that UTF-8 is the way to go, but there are a
few hurdles before I can adopt it whole hog.

--ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert at moon.eorbit.net  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert