[vorbis-dev] More mdct questions

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Wed Oct 25 16:40:44 PDT 2000

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> There is no standard for normalization of fourier transforms.
> I myself prefer 2/sqrt(n) on both the transform and its inverse, so that these
> are the same (except for signs). An FFT is 1/n, spread between the
> transform and its inverse. Confusingly, some also throw in 2 PI's

You get the PI's if you have a continous transform (non-sampled, by
integration; this one is called Fourier transform). You get no PI's if
you have a discrete tranform (sampled in both time and frequency domain,
by summation; this one is called _discrete_ Fourier transform (DFT), for which
the _fast_ Fourier transform (FFT) is an efficient means of computation).

> in the normalization. If you actually care about units in the transform
> domain, this is a real pain. For these purposes, it doesn't matter.

Yep. Only the combined forward/backward transform need to get the normalization
correct.

Dagdag,

Segher