[vorbis-dev] beta release source tarballs

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Oct 18 23:08:26 PDT 2000

I recently went looking for the beta2 sources and was surprised to not
find them anywhere on the website. Worse, the release tags 'public-beta-1'
and 'release_1_0_beta_2' longer retrieve the complete code, since part of
the repository has been manually rearranged! (Thanks to cvs's non-support
of changes in directory structure.)

Fortunately, Monty made backups, and was kind enough to send them to me.
I've made source tarballs from the tagged code and placed them on my
website, along with the repository backup. Should you be interested, you
can find them at:

    http://snow.ashlu.bc.ca/ogg/src/

I'd suggest that someone install at least the tarballs on the main site
(under xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/download/) so they're easy to find.

At the time I was looking for something more stable than the current tools
to help someone on irc, but in general it's nice to have it around for
reference. Appeals to the archivist in me.

There's also the issue of the (L)GPL, which requires that the source be
made available for at least three years after the binary release. This is
why sites like kernel.org have every version that's ever been officially
announced. Of course, they're only betas, released by the primary authors,
so there's plenty of wiggle room, but that's not how I was brought up.

Cheers,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca
who know what theses will be written