Re(2): [vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Tue Oct 17 09:40:47 PDT 2000

At 3:41 AM -0700 10/17/00, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>But handling of tar files and compressed files and other such stuff is
>a pretty broken area in most file managers; it's very hard to get
>right becaust it doesn't want to play nice with the mime type
>framework.

Perhaps this shows that the MIME type framework is inadequate for
what you want to do.

On the Macintosh, all files have two four-character codes associated
with them:  Type, and creator.  The type code indicates the type of
the file, such as text ('TEXT'), QuickTime movie ('MOOV'), PICT image
('PICT'), application ('APPL'), etc.

The creator code indicates which application should open a given
file.  Say I have a bunch of audio files.  I don't want to open them
in QuickTime player (which is the standard A/V player on MacOS); I'd
rather open them in SoundJam.  By making their creator the same as
the SoundJam application's, I can do just that, *without* changing
their type information.  After all, some of them might actually be
QuickTime movies containing only audio tracks; should there be some
sort of special "audio-only QuickTime movie" code, or should the
playback software be intelligent enough when dealing with container
formats to know what it can and can't handle?

(Just as an aside, MacOS uses the same type codes for C source code,
HTML, and text files:  'TEXT'.  The reason C source code opens in
CodeWarrior, HTML opens in BBEdit, and text files open in SimpleText
is that all of these files have different creator codes.  It works
great.)

--
Christopher M. Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
President & CEO