Re(2): [vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sat Oct 14 20:06:51 PDT 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Ali Abdin wrote:

> > files. I wouldn't worry about it beyond associating ogg123 with
> > application/x-ogg with .ogg/OggS. If ogg123 (or whatever) turns out not to
> > be up to playing both types, it can be replaced by a smart launcher that
> > does content examination.
> >
> > The problem with having both audio/ogg and video/ogg (and text/ogg) is
> > that webservers would have to do the complicated content examination
> > I described above to set it properly. Arguably they should be allowed the
> > easier time...and it's much easier to get Ogg support added to a media
> > player than a web server.
>
> To further elaborate on my point - I believe there needs to be two possible
> mime-types:
>
> audio/ogg (or audio/vorbis)
> video/ogg (which could possible have a vorbis stream embedded inside it
> because visual is usually accompanied by audio (so apps will have to handle
> this))

Probably the best compromise would be to declare that mapping 0 vorbis
files must always have 'vorbis' at byte 29, and use that as mime magic to
distinguish audio/ogg from video/ogg.

That would be up to Monty and Jack. I can't speak for them, but would
expect our attitude is more that this is a problem with your design.
We don't draw the line between the contents of the substreams any more
than you draw a line between the media types of attachments in an mbox
file. Ogg is a bitstream interleave and serialization format, nothing
more.

That's why we settled on application/x-ogg.

> Are there any other ogg projects besides audio/visual codecs?

XML streams for metadata and synchronized text like subtitles. It's quite
possible you'd run into text-only stream occasionally. That's why I
mentioned text/ogg. :-)

IMHO,
 -ralph