[vorbis-dev] Vorbis + AVI

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Fri Oct 6 12:27:24 PDT 2000

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 08:35:35AM -0700, Kevin Magliulo wrote:
> hi -
>
> does anyone on this list know if it is possible to
> use the vorbis audio codec in conjunction with an
> AVI file??
>
> what would it take to do this?  are there any apps
> written for this already, that could prove this codec
> useful with an AVI??
>
> I can attach MP3 to an AVI of course, but there are many
> playback problems (mainly sync + crappy sound) with MP3...
>
> any of you developers working on something of the sort??

There's been talk to use MNG, which is basically motion PNG,
and is supposed to be a nice lossless codec. I'm personally
going to be working with Ogg video soon, so I'll check it out,
but the (nontrivial) AVI codecs are pretty well rooted as Windows
drivers (except maybe thunking to the Windows dll -- I've heard
that xmps (sourceforge.net/projects/xmps) can do that, but let's
not mess in that area for a long time please).

Kenneth