[vorbis-dev] CVS Problem

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sun Oct 1 09:16:22 PDT 2000

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 07:17:19AM -0700, volsung at asu.edu wrote:
> I've been kind of busy lately, but I wanted to see what's up with ao after the
> build change.  I was able to check out the vorbis module, but when I tried to
> check out the ao module I saw this:
>
> [stan at volsung vorbis]$ cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.xiph.org:/usr/local/cvsroot
> co -r branch_postbeta2 ao
> cvs server: Updating ao
> cvs server: Updating ao/doc
> cvs server: Updating ao/include
> cvs server: Updating ao/include/ao
> cvs server: Updating ao/src
> cvs server: Updating ao/src/.deps
> cvs server: Updating ao/src/.libs
>
> This looked promising, except the command did not create an ao directory or
> put any files anywhere.  This looks like the same command other people are
> using.
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Well the entire build process, especially ao, is getting really changed around
(hey, where'd ogg123 go ?!?!?) -- and even if you did get ao checked out, it
doesn't build right due to what we have determined is likely an automake bug,
or as I have put it, an "undocumented feature". Some workarounds have been
suggested. It'll work sometime. Anyway, ao still should be there -- try the
update again, and make absolutely sure that nothing got put in.

Speaking of CVS trouble, there appears to be a problem in vorbis/lib/floor0.c
(unless this has been fixed) that I couldn't commit a fix for: if you force
it to compile with -Wall (which we definately should be doing IMHO), gcc flags
a call to _oggpack_read -- note the underscore in front. The ogg library
separation changed that to oggpack_read (no underscore) but one call didn't
get changed. Others in the same file did, though. So whoever can get CVS to
accept a commit right (I can't!) should replace _oggpack_read with oggpack_read
in floor0.c. Also, methinks we don't need vorbis/lib/bitwise.* either -- that's
in ogg/ now. Huh. The only thing I can say here is, good thing we're working on
a branch!

Kenneth