[vorbis-dev] Distribution Fixes

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu Oct 26 14:13:16 PDT 2000

> It goes in the -devel package because it's only needed at build time,
> not at run time. Not including the link makes it fail when you attempt
> to include -lwhatever on the link line, which is desirable if you
> don't have the headers.

Yep, i caught your explanation later in the list :)

> Also, the fact that 8 other packages did it that way _is_ a good
> reason. To have a sane system it's important to follow common
> packaging guidelines consistently.

I disagree.  8 others might have done it because the first one did.  Not
many people are automake experts, and a lot of people do it wrong
(including me sometimes).  I'd like to understand the logic behind
something before I blindly accept that as an axiom.  :)

I'm all for common usages, so the fact that 8 peopel do it gives weight.
It doesn't make it absolutely correct :)

> Hope this helps.

Yep, thanks.

jack.