[vorbis-dev] Return of the Son of MIME type

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu Oct 26 12:43:54 PDT 2000

> I think in light of the substantial new arguments and information
> presented, at the very least a new justification for the decision
> which in some way addresses them is owed. But I can understand some
> level of testiness.

Ok, here's the scoop.

You need mime magic to detect different types of files.  You won't be
the only ones.

Mime types are funky things, and don't really do what we want in an
ideal world.

We have many things to do, and probably gave this the wrong priority.

This is a problem.  It needs to be addressed.

We need some mime-magic way to detect the contents of an ogg file, and
we need to categorize these with some mime types.

My suggestion is that we do this in the TOC, which i propose is the
required FIRST page of any ogg virtual bitstream (note that this kind of
logic breaks down for chains, although I suspect that chains aren't goin
to be a problem in typical use with files).

The first page should have a TOC that says what kinds of streams are
included within, and probably some way of linking them together.

This is a difficult design decision.  Do not expect this to be complete
in beta3 :)

I'll try and post a few ideas and usch later today, and we can start
discussing a SOLUTION.  We now know that there is a PROBLEM.

I'm sorry that it took so long to get this out of the way, and I
appreciate the persistance of the Nautilus team in bringing this up.

jack.