[vorbis-dev] Distribution Fixes

Ali Abdin ALIABDIN at aucegypt.edu
Thu Oct 26 03:31:42 PDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Michael Smith wrote:

> >There is a valid usage for them. If you think there isn't, could you
> >please tell me how I detect the presence of libogg/libvorbis (that
> >includes the '-devel' packages) is installed on my system.
>
> Please, tell me how you're going to use these scripts to detect the
> presence (or otherwise) of libogg/libvorbis. If you're assuming it's going
> to be in your path (if installed), then it's just as reasonable to assume
> that libvorbis is in your normal library search path. So you just use the
> (supplied) autoconf macros. They're there for a reason.
>
> I honestly fail to see how an extra script helps you locate these files.
> Script presumably goes in standard location. If script is present, you can
> locate files. However, it's equally true that the files presumably go in
> standard locations, so you can simply check for the presence of the files
> directly.
>
> Logically, if these scripts are useful in any way, we should extend it to
> libc-config, libm-config, etc. One for _every_ library on the system. Why
> is this case any different?
>>

> I absolutely agree that for complex interdependent systems (like gnome,
> etc.) there are good reasons for these sorts of scripts. For standalone
> libraries with a fixed and unchanging list of dependencies (libvorbis
> depends on libogg, libc, libm. There's no reason that I can think of that
> that would ever change), I fail to see a benefit.

Yes, there is a benefit. To be able to locate _WHERE_ you installed the
files (location of headers and location of the libraries).

> >Okay, once you do that. Could you now tell me, how I can get my
> >application (that uses libvorbisfile) to detect where the headers and
> >libraries are installed?
>
> No. I can tell you that you don't need to know, though. Again, it's
> reasonable to assume that they're in the standard search paths. If that's
> NOT a reasonable assumption, then it's also unreasonable to assume that the
> config scripts will be in your path.

Well, first of all you are telling me "no, you can't answer my question"
yet you say "you don't need to know". That is contradictory to me.

You are incorrectly making the assumption that if it is not in the path I
will "bomb out" of configure (which is what the macros will do).

But I do not wish to do this. I wish to conditionally compile Ogg Vorbis
support (#ifdef HAVE_VORBIS).

Regards,
Ali