[vorbis-dev] vorbis-tools: vorbiscomment problem

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue Oct 24 23:02:58 PDT 2000

At 05:02 PM 10/24/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm playing around with the vorbiscomment stuff, and with the current
>CVS I get the following crash when trying to write comments to an
>existing .ogg file:

>Does anyone have an idea what needs to be done to vorbiscomment to fix
>it? Is there a another piece of code that does the same thing that I can
>look at?

Rob,

Last time I checked, vorbiscomment worked (for me, anyway). Does this
happen with ALL ogg files, or just some? From looking at the backtrace, we
see "len=4294958950" - looks like something is going uninitialised (or
initialised to zero, then having a small positive integer subtracted from
it). I'll check that it still works for me soon - if it does, I'm not sure
what's going on. If not, I'll fix it.

Vorbiscomment is evil disgusting code. I wrote it as a proof of concept. I
never intended people to actually start using it as-is. There's no other
code out there that does the same thing (there might be, but it's probably
copying what vorbiscomment does - there wasn't anything else out there when
it got written).

When I have time (probably about 3-4 weeks from now, unfortunately - exams
are imminent), I'll probably rewrite vorbiscomment, and add the stuff to
libvorbis that is needed to make it sane.

Michael