[vorbis-dev] ov_comment spec

Rudd-O Manuel at xiph.org
Fri Oct 20 12:02:25 PDT 2000

>From an end user point of view:

I'd like to play my ogg file in my player X, then
select File information: and pop a box that shows the
information for the last TAG that the player went
through.  So if I have an ogg file with several audio
or video streams, information relative to the current
stream should be shown, be it music metadata or lyrics,
or narratives.

I'd like to be able to author them too, maybe by
selecting New information... in a menu, then responding
to a simple question:
o General info
o Insert info in current play point
Select one of these, and create, modify or delete that
information.

Something that would be easy to use for newbies,
displayed at all the time, and easy to modify too.

Quoting chad <chad at analogself.com>:

> I've been working towards a mp3info like tool,
OggInfo, which will surplant
> vorbiscomment in functionality, and also incorportate
mp3info like
> featuers. Looking at existing vorbis api calls, i
find:

> vorbis_comment_add() /* unsupervised string insertion
*/
> vorbis_comment_add_tag() /* formated TAG=text
insertion */
> vorbis_comment_query() /* scans for matching tag (up
to count duplicates)
> a> nd
> returns the last one */
> vorbis_comment_query_count() /* returns the number of
matching TAG
> instances
> */
> vorbis_comment_clear() /* obvious */
>
> It seems to be allowing duplicate TAG identifies is
less than optimal.  I
> know there are instances where you have more than one
artist, for example,
> and you need to allow for more than one artist
value.  I'm interested in
> making  as seemless an api usage as possible, so that
it extremely easy to
> use (not alot of application coding to get something
to work) and something
> that lends itself to being implemented the same way,
and extensible at
> that.
>
> TAG=string is very straightforward, and easy, but it
allows things like
> duplicates, something which is not clearly documented
(except code) and
> whi> ch
> might be handled differently depending on the
application developer.  I see
> ogg123 for instance is doing all the TAG string
matching by hand, and also
> with hardcoded TAG values.. this seems like something
that should all be
> taken away and packaged nicely behind an api, so that
there aren't any
> mistakes. Yet we also need something extensible that
has streaming in mind,
> and all the cool features we'd want to use this space
for... (song lyrics,
> html links ect...)
>
> I'd like to implement something cleanly that wont
bite us in the ass later
> > (:
> So i'm bitching now!  Lets get something writen down
and worked out while