[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Thu Oct 19 14:24:33 PDT 2000

At 8:29 PM -0200 10/19/00, Ali Abdin wrote:
>Doh! Windows uses file extension! my bad. Well, KDE/Konqueror use mime-type! I
>believe BeOS uses mime-type, what about MacOS X? Unix in "general" uses
>mime-type for some stuff. But whatever.

Mac OS X uses file types and creators as I described previously, with
file extensions as a fallback.

(Also, just so everyone knows, there are a number of people who use
the QuickTime Player to play audio as well as video files.  Aside
from the stupid brushed-metal look it's actually really functional
and useful.  If Apple added playlist support it'd be killer.  Then
again, there are people who have written shareware playlist
applications that work with the QuickTime player...)

>  > Besides, it appears that the decision has already been made.
>  > Nautilus needs to fit in with the rest of the world, not try to bend
>  > the rest of the world to conform to its vision (particularly where
>  > its vision is flawed, such as in its assumption that a MIME type or
>  > an imbedded magic number conveys enough information about a file to
>  > determine what application to use to launch it).
>
>Whoaaaah! Thats a pretty deep statement. You are basically saying "MIME type"
>is useless and apps shouldn't use it to determine a file type.

WRONG.  What I'm saying is that MIME type ONLY specifies a file's
type, and that a file's type is often insufficient for determining
which application to use to launch it.

An Ogg file is an Ogg bitstream.  *That* is its type.  It may contain
a Vorbis stream or two, a video stream or two, an effects track, a
metadata track, closed captioning tracks in several languages...
Tell me, what would you have the MIME type be for an ogg bitstream
containing two audio tracks -- audio and artist's commentary -- plus
text caption tracks in several languages?  How would you determine
the "right" application to open for this particular file?

All of this argues for not worrying about this stuff at the file-type
(MIME type, MacOS type code, file extension) level and instead
putting the onus on the playback applications to do the right thing
with whatever files they're told to open.  If you build a playback
application with as good an interface as the QuickTime player (minus
the stupid brushed metal look) and add good playlist support your
problem would be solved.

And if your desktop environment doesn't keep the orthogonal concepts
of file type and launching application separate, that's a design
flaw.  Fix it in your desktop environment, figure out some way to
work around it, or live with it.  Don't try to dictate that "audio
Ogg streams should use audio/ogg and video Ogg streams should use
video/ogg and just ignore all those pesky edge cases."

   -- Chris

--
Christopher M. Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
President & CEO, bDistributed.com, Inc.