[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Ali Abdin ALIABDIN at aucegypt.edu
Thu Oct 19 03:35:06 PDT 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Monty wrote:

> > (a bit testy that this flamewar has started again, and no one has learned a
> > thing from the previous rounds)
>
> OK, that wasn't fair... the old timers know what's up, but I do wish some of
> the folks who bring things up would browse the archive threads or at least not
> jump in in large numbers before realizing this has been hashed into the ground

You are right. I apologize for not reading/browsing the archive.

I have read/browsed the threads related to 'Mime-type' and 'Header'.

Monty - in one of the threads
(http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/0416.html) you said:

'Magic to detect Ogg (and detect Ogg/Vorbis) is easy'

The magic to detect Ogg is 'obvious'. But what about the 'Magic to detect
Ogg/Vorbis'.

You also said 'Whipping out docs for this now.' - Where can I find this?
(I couldn't find any details about mime magic in the docs that I looked
in).

Is there, (or shouldn't there be) an area in the Ogg header to identify
its contents?

I read some other threads, but only the above two seems to be the most
relevant ones. None of the threads really discussed mime-type/mime-magic
in depth and NONE of them really reached a consensus or a decision about
any particular issue.

Note: this thread has _NOTHING_ to do with the filename extension