[vorbis-dev] ov_comment spec

chad chad at analogself.com
Wed Oct 18 15:49:08 PDT 2000

On Wednesday, October 18 2000, Ralph Giles said:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, chad wrote:
>
> Duplicate tags are an excellent choice from the metadata point of view.
> It's much easier to write an indexer if you can assume one tag = one
> record. Cleaner design. Look at any library database.
>
> BUT, it's only useful if most people use it, and that requires careful
> application support.

That's all im saying..

> The duplicate tag issue is clearly described in the comment header
> documentation. see vorbis/doc/v-comment.html in cvs.

ah, yes, that.

> I'm not sure what you're proposing here. Ogg123 is pretty rough code, and
> the analysis could certainly be more elegant. The intent (well, mine
> anyway) was just to distinguish canonical from custom comments as a policy
> example. I remember the vc query api needed work (did that ever happen?)
> but I'm not sure what else needs wrapping.

Oh, i was just commenting on the fact that it is one of the only places i
could find something that reads comment info, and it didn't even use the
ov_comment functions (could be it came before the library calls)

> Be aware that the vorbis comment header really is just intended for brief,
> identificatory metadata. More complete metadata, as well as separate
> tracks like lyrics will go in a separate stream type, probably xml based.
> This we need serious help with, including a good api!

I'd love to help out on this.

I see that someone else has done a perl mp3info knockoff, i guess i should
have said something to the list earlier about OggInfo... whatever.

-=C=-
Chad Armstrong
icecast/vorbis developer
chad at icecast.org