[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Patrick Mauritz oxygene at gmx.net
Wed Oct 18 05:32:53 PDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 04:58:47AM -0700, Pavel Cisler wrote:
> P.S. The .tar.gz format was designed before mime types and mime magic
> was widely used in modern desktop apps. You no longer have this as an
> excuse :-)
Yes, you have - after all, it's still in use and it's getting worse:
.tar.bz2, .xcf.gz (gzipped gimp), .xcf.bz2 (bzip2-compressed gimp) etc.

I'd propose the following for mime-based applications:
    transparent decompression of container-formats (.gz, .bz2)

and for ogg:
    a textstream at the beginning containing information about
    content in _human-readable_ form - binary flags are evil.
    there is already "vorbis" at a specified place in every .ogg-file,
    at this place all used codecs could be listed (and if you don't know
    them, you can't play them)

that would keep all the people quiet whining that their loved mime
is not supported in their way

and for those who start this again with file-extension:
  - standard is .ogg!
  - you can use the extensions you want to use
  - if your software doesn't understand that, extend file to understand ogg

p. mauritz, a flamewar-about-mime-and-fileextensions-hater