[vorbis-dev] Titles and song info?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Oct 16 11:37:48 PDT 2000

> > Secondly, MP3s have the 'Year' in their id3 tag info. Is there somethign
> > similiar with Vorbis? I did notice that there is a 'DATE' but I think that
> > will be "difficult" to use due to the /multitiude/ of date formats possible.
> > Not to mention that it'd be a bitch to parse. Can the "DATE" tag perhaps be
> > split into 'MONTH', 'DAY', and 'YEAR' - or can we just have an additional YEAR
> > tag?
>
> What about non-western calendars then? :)
>
> You're correct that DATE can be an arbitrary string...can't you just
> display it as such? Lots of people are just putting a 4-digit year there
> anyway, so you could look for something like that if you need to sort.

My official position on the 'DATE' field, as originally recommended by others,
is that it follow the ISO 8601 international date format.  This standard makes
sense, is seeing wide adoption and in general solves the problems of thinking
of subtle date issues for us (like being able to sort dates alphabetically and
have them be in proper order).  No need to reinvent the wheel.

A brief synopsis of ISO 8601 is at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-datetime-19980827

Monty