[vorbis-dev] Titles and song info?

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Thu Oct 12 17:17:22 PDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > What does full tagging include: artist, title, comment, year, ... ?
>
> It's extensible.  With no fixed size.
>
> Meaning, we have tags that are defined, like artist, tracknumber, title,
> album, etc, and you can define your own if you need them.

But please note that is there is a standard set of tags. Please use
these whenever possible to facilitate interoperability.

The canonical list is in the technical documentation in the 'vorbis' cvs
module, but there's a version online at:

http://snow.ashlu.bc.ca/ogg/v-comment.html

The basic list is: artist, title, version (e.g. remix), album,
tracknumber, organization (publisher), description, genre, date,
location, and copyright.

More extensive metadata (lyrics, who played guitar, producers, etc.)
is coming later in a separate format.

Speaking of, Monty, can we have your blessing on the TRACKNUMBER tag?
Oggenc already implements it, and there seems to be reasonable demand;
I think we should canonize it.

See the attached patch for a suggestion.

 -r

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>TEXT/PLAIN attachment: tracknum.patch
</UL>