[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] tarkin (was Re: FREE at last)

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Mon Oct 9 17:42:48 PDT 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Kenneth Arnold wrote:

> > What's MLP?
>
> Read K5? Mindless Link Propogation.

You make it sound like bad thing!

> Best left in hardware, huh? So what about me playing moviez at home with
> nothing more than my run-of-the-mill graphics card?
>
> > Re minimal facilities, all the compressed stream can really do is provide
> > timestamps (or ranges). It's easy enough to keep track of exactly where
> > you are in the decoder (libvorbis provides sample-accurate seeking, for
> > example). In the trivial implementation, it's just a matter of lining up
> > the numbers.
>
> Right... more pains in decoders' butts. Ah well, I guess we're going to
> have to live with it. It's not like there's much better, other than
> SMTPE-timecoding the whole system (which I think should be done possibly
> as metadata, because it's possible that the video should interface with
> systems that use SMTPE (e.g., broadcast).

What's so magical about SMTPE? 0:0:23:27 <-> frame 717; isn't it all the
same to the decoder?

> > maintaining audio is the most important thing. drop video frames as
> > necessary down to 1-per-5-seconds or so. then drop audio.
>
> But what about inter-frame coding? Wouldn't this totally  mess up the 3d
> wavelets?

Er, right. I was thinking about mpeg-1/2, where you can easily decide not
to decode B (or even P) frames in advance to catch up. I imagine there
will be analogous options: not inverting the transform for some slices,
dropping 'scalable' packets, that sort of thing. On some systems, just
color-converting/blitting the frame is significant.

 -r

giles at ashlu.bc.ca
Mitochondria: the warp cores of cells
  -- N. Wildeman