[vorbis-dev] ov_read() reading too little.

MC Spanky mcspanky at mac.com
Thu Nov 30 07:28:25 PST 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Firelight Multimedia wrote:

> i doubt it .. if that is the case i wont accept any changes anyway, even
> monty and jack refuse submissions for the main vorbis source tree
> sometimes..

Wait, I guess I'm not being clear.

The fundamental freedoms of GNU style free software are that, when
you're using a piece of software, you should be able to look at the
source to learn their tricks, and also be able to change the source,
recompile the executable, and distribute your changes to whoever you
please.  For more info, see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

However you distribute your dll, you have to make it so that anyone can
make changes to the Ogg Vorbis source that comes with your app, then
relink the app so their changes apply on their machine.  In practice,
the easiest way is to distribute .o files with your app, so that whoever
downloads it can link their changes against your object files.

I didn't mean to imply that either you or Xiph had to incorporate
anybody's changes.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be very surpised if the above was wrong
in any significant way.

- Spanky