[vorbis-dev] ao hard codes -ldl in configure tests

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat Nov 18 17:57:34 PST 2000

At 05:35 PM 11/18/00 -0800, you wrote:

>  Rather than using libtool to build its sets, the ao.m4 in beta3 is hard
coding '-ldl':

>  AO_LIBS="$AO_LIBS -lao -ldl"
>
>  Not all systems have a dl library.  For now, I can obviously just remove
it and keep working on stuff, but what would be a suitable patch that would
get accepted to be committed?  Should I just check the current build target
and set AO_LIBS differently on my host?

libao now needs libdl. A patch would be good, but would also have to change
the code in some fairly significant ways. Well, unless there's some
platform without libdl, but WITH all the libdl functions in a different
libraries. I don't know of any such platform.

libao isn't portable (due solely to libdl use), and the only thing that
uses it is ogg123 (which is extremely unportable), so it's probably not
worth fixing - someone is apparently rewriting/replacing ogg123.

The main problem is that vorbis-tools requires libao at the moment - and
libao doesn't neccesarily build on everything (we fixed it yesterday for
solaris, but ogg123 is still broken there). Probably should change some
stuff in vorbis-tools configure so that if ao is missing, it just doesn't
build ogg123.

Michael