[vorbis-dev] Vorbis Winamp plugin

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Nov 17 04:46:59 PST 2000

At 10:06 AM 11/17/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Howdah...
>
>I am working on adding configuration and comment editing to the
>OggVorbis Winamp plugin.

Oh good. I was going to do this ages ago, but then realised that that would
mean win32 gui stuff. That's nasty, so I didn't.

>However I have currently banged my head against one major
>problem. How the h... do you update an .ogg with the new
>comments. Do I use the source in vorbiscomment (which doesn't
>work with any .ogg I've tested) - or is there a better alternative?

With much pain and suffering. vorbiscomment is more or less correct (but
NOT portable to non-unix systems), but it's nasty code. To do it nicely we
need an extra function or two in libvorbis. I might add them soon.

>A function for simply updating an ogg with new comments would be
>*really* appreciated, but as long as anyone can point me in the
>right direction, I think I could figure it out.

vorbiscomment is it, for now. As far as I know, nobody other than me has
written comment-rewriting code. vorbiscomment should never have been
released into the wild as it is, though. However, vorbiscomment may have
become broken at some point - there could have been changes to the API
since I wrote it, or internals changes that affect it (yes, vorbiscomment
does things to internal libvorbis data structures, because libvorbis is
missing minor things).

Chad's ogginfo will eventually do what vorbiscomment does (and lots more) -
hopefully less horribly.

In short, pick one of a) don't do it for now, or b) write all the rest of
the code, have it call a function to write out the new stream, and send it
all to me to actually implement that function.

>I have added a configuration dialog (currently sets name format
>string and thread priority - both of which are implemented).

Good. That's somewhere on my to-do (the format string stuff at least. I
don't actually give a damn about thread priority).

<snip description of details of comment interface, which all sounds good>

>Any others I should add as standard? And to the format string?
>(Currently similar to the one in Winamp 2.666 and 2.7)

Those look fine. The format string stuff was a quick hack - it probably
needs redoing entirely. I'm glad someone's stepped up to do it ;)

Michael