[vorbis-dev] BeOS on PPC compile, thread question.

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Thu Nov 16 01:53:12 PST 2000

> It will be death on MacOS (which will be calling New and bringing the
> machine to a standstill while it does).  The libs are designed to

Yep, it's one of the evil Mac thingies. Still like the mac, though :-)

I wasn't suggesting replacing alloca(), but an alternative would be
nice, maybe. If David already has the code, it's easy to try things
out :-)

> quickly reach steady state and never need to malloc during the
> mainline of execution.  I use alloca() specifically when I know the
> exact size I want, it won't grow and it's small, because alloca() only
> increments SP and doesn't cause memory fragmentation.
>
> Replacing alloca() with malloc()/free() is certainly wrong.
> *Possibly* replacing it with _vorbis_block_alloc may be correct as it
> comes out of a libvorbis maintained pool.

A pool is better than new malloc's every time, of course. But sometimes
it may be better to not have your data on the stack, for processor
implementation/optimization issues. I don't suggest you replace alloca()
right away, but some experiments don't hurt :-)

Dagdag,

Segher