[vorbis-dev] Mime Type and Ogg (More)

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Nov 14 04:03:25 PST 2000

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

<snip>
> Why not keep it simple and have three mime types (which people who so
> choose can easily map to the same icon, type string and launcher
> program, or treat all three exactly the same in their application)
> instead of one (where people who want three different launchers, icons
> and type strings must jump through many hoops)?

FWIW, I fully agree with this reasoning.

It seems clear to me that other application developers use and will
continue to use
MIME types, that they will want to distinguish between OGG/Vorbis audio
& visual
content, so if you insist in only having one MIME type, others will be
developed for you in a non-standard fashion. In that case, it is a
safe bet that there will be inconsistent usage of mime types between
developers, which will serve no one well.

> Sorry if I sound a bit strident here. I am a bit frustrated at having
> to argue the same point repeatedly.
>
>  - Maciej

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com