[vorbis-dev] Return of the Son of MIME type

mjs at eazel.com mjs at eazel.com
Sun Nov 12 23:53:19 PST 2000

"Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <amadorm at usm.edu.ec> writes:

> Please:
>
> This is just my own preference.  I use XMMS for both audio and MPEG
> video, and I don't have any problems about it.  I DO think XMMS needs
> some sort of video framework so it can be more useful instead of just
> instantiating a new window for each video (that's annoying).  So I think
> application/ogg is enough since your file manager/browser needs to start
> only one application.

You hit the nail on the head with the first sentence: this is your
preference. Many people have a very different preference and would
like to use different applications for audio and video. Having
distinct mime types allows both your preferences and theirs to be met
- you can just set the same default application for both, and they can
set different ones.

> You could also preview ogg files' audio data containing video by
> hovering the mouse over its icon, by using ogg123 in the background.
> Anyway, they probably contain audio too.

Yes, but a better way to preview video might be to play a short clip
in miniature, and/or to show the key frame even when not hovering.

> I think that the Nautilus file types and programs capplet should also
> show a checkbox "Can be previewed as music" for each defined MIME type,
> or infer that data for those MIME types that have the view "View as
> music" available, and make that clear in the FTAP capplet.

Nautilus only knows how to play the audio file types it knows about;
changing this setting won't make nautilus magically able to play some
arbitrary new sound (or other) format.

> Oh, and a call for the Nautilus developers.  Try to copy the ideas from
> the KDE control center's MIME setup.  It's EONS ahead from the current
> state of Nautilus' one.  If I were a beginner, I might have some
> problems with KDE's MIME setup, but I'm sure that Nautilus' MIME setup
> would be positively impossible for me to use.

We do plan to revise the control center applet (we all agree that the
current one is messy; mostly we copied the old one and changed it to
work with gnome-vfs). We are unlikely to take the KDE one as the
primary model. If you have specific criticisms or suggestions for
improvement, those would be welcome.

 - Maciej