[vorbis-dev] Vorbis packet #3, codebooks and their large size

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Nov 9 19:12:22 PST 2000

At 07:06 PM 11/9/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Perhaps instead of having Vorbis work with codebooks inside the stream or a
>standard set of codebooks in the decoder, Vorbis could simply support both?
>When V1.0 is all nice and polished, and some good codebooks have been tuned,
>perhaps they could be included as part of the decoder - maybe it doesn't
>even have to include the full range either - the lower bit rate ones are
>probably more important in this case.
>
>I think this would really help out for applications dealing with smaller
>samples. Of course it may complicate things, so I guess it's purely a design
>decision.

Yes, this is what I mentioned in the final paragraph - although it isn't
used yet, vorbis is designed so that you can have multiple "mappings".
Basically, this determines how things get interpreted. Right now, there's
just one (though most of the code infrastructure is there for more) - but
it wouldn't be terribly hard to add an additional one for codebookless
streams. In theory, anyway.

All of this is a fair way off, I suspect - unless someone else does it,
like you guys.

Michael, who should be studying for exams...