[vorbis-dev] Return of the Son of MIME type

Ali Abdin ALIABDIN at aucegypt.edu
Tue Nov 7 00:08:58 PST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> i think the issue was that Nautilus was coded to do certain things when
> audio/blah was hit.  ie, it enabled a set of funcationality.
>
> personally, while there is a problem on the vorbis side, this is
> definately also a limitation in nautilus if i've understood it
> correctly.  there shold be some kind of "detect if this mime type has
> audio playback cabability" and if it has audio, but not graphics, then
> trigger said playback functionality.

To detect wether a mime type has audio playback capability we check the
mime supertype (audio/*) I do not think this is inherently flawed (how
else would we check if a mime type has audio playback capability?)

Never the less we could easily "special-case" Ogg support. Its very
simple we just add in application/x-ogg among the 'audio/*' (but it
would become unweildy if every application/new file format decided to
use application/* and we have to somehow "detect" its functionality).

Anyway, since I know this is just a temporary situation, I don't mind
making the change. (I'll do it within the week (got midterms, so I'm a
bit busy))

Regards,
Ali