[vorbis-dev] ogg stream-id options

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Nov 16 20:59:43 PST 2000

> Right now, the only thing we produce are 'degenerate' ogg files. They
> *only* contain a single vorbis audio stream. We've been telling people the
> file extension is .ogg, to to magic detection on the initial OggS, and
> that the mime-type is application/x-ogg.

A degenerate ogg file is any meta-header-less stream/link containing only
one logical bitstream.

> We reevaluated the extension issue (the answer was no) and the mime-type
> issue (we were swayed) and decided we'd recommend multiple mimetypes when
> we have the video codec working, and add efficient discrimiation to the
> requirements for the toc/metadata substream we'd always planned on.

I'm swayed in that I agree with their functionality arguments
(meaning, I agree with the end goal).  I'm not convinced mime is the
sole way to do this.  Mime (to identify ogg) and magic (to identify
container contents) is still my proposal.  Of course, we'll eventually
agree to something.

> I'd proposed we combine the toc header with the kitchen-sink metadata
> people have requested, and that we use xml-encoded rdf based on the Dublic
> Core element set to do it.

No.  The metaheader is meant to be something *much* simpler.  No XML
there (and I say this because I don't want a full blown XML parser,
again, just to figure out what to do with a stream.  XML is alot of
weight).  It's to be a single page with very basic arrangement
information.

> Note that this doesn't really allow mime magic detection of the 'sequence
> x at offset n' type. What I meant earlier about substring searching is
> that you first look for the initial OggS, then search for '<useage>' in
> bytes 15-200 and case on whatever comes immediately after it.

> incorporate. The librarians think this is a hard problem too.

Except I want something simpler than what you propose.  Perhaps
something more complex than what I'm thinking of now will become
necessary (actually I expect that to be the case).  This is meant to
be information for applications to use, not as much humans.

Monty