[vorbis-dev] recent Vorbis, sound quality problems

David Riley oscar at the-rileys.net
Thu Nov 16 20:38:43 PST 2000

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> No player, cat x.wav | encoder_example | decoder_example > x.decode.wav, and
> then tug the wav header back on. Oh, and the decoder_example needs a byte
> swab at the output, to be little-endian. Then I can just "play a.decode.wav".
> The AWACS uses DMA soundbuffers, not doubly-buffered I think. Not sure,
> though. I got a new-generation iMac, it's basically the new iBook, but
> embedded in a terribly nice looking monitor. I love this baby :-)

Heh.  You might have let on that you were using Linux.  On MacOS one
generally has to use double-buffering (I don't know if there's a
sound-manager compatible DMA mode, I know it's definitely against the
"rules" to write directly to the sound hardware on MacOS).  Those sort
of problems were characteristic of the buffer problem I mentioned, though.