[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Thu Nov 16 17:40:43 PST 2000

At 5:26 PM -0800 11/16/00, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>The gcc extensions are official Apple-sanctioned extensions.  If
>CodeWarrior doesn't support them yet, it almost certainly will.  By the
>time OS X becomes final, I suspect those extensions will be so
>indoctrinated in MacOS software that they won't have much choice.

To my knowledge, CodeWarrior supported *Motorla* AltiVec extensions
before GCC did.

Also, you speak as if you believe most Macintosh development will be
done with GCC by the time Mac OS X becomes final.  This is incorrect;
Metrowerks CodeWarrior will be the standard compiler and development
environment for Macintosh developers for a long time to come.
Apple's ProjectBuilder is not a very good development environment,
and none of the tools Apple ships support building PEF binaries.

(PEF is the executable and library format used on MacOS 9.  If you
write Carbon applications and use PEF rather than Mach-O as your
binary format, your applications will run natively on both MacOS 9
and Mac OS X.  For most companies, this is a commercial necessity.)

--
Christopher M. Hanson, President & CEO, bDistributed.com, Inc.
Developers of database-backed web sites and Mac software