[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Thu Nov 16 16:40:38 PST 2000

>More generally, maybe all of the audience can help: what are the weakest
>points of all the
>various processors Vorbis will be deployed on?
>
>We'll need this in making reasonable decisions 'bout what/how to optimize.

Well, therein lies the problem.  I think once various bits of libvorbis
code are identified that can be pulled out to generalise (for reuse
throughout the program) and optimise, simply write a simple C version that
can be used as a reference and let whomever figure how they want to
implement the CPU specific optimisations.  I think it'd be foolhardy to set
in stone what sort of optimisation to use (ie must conform to a piece of C
code that is say, unrolled and forces register usage that may not be nice
to all CPUs).