[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

David Riley oscar at the-rileys.net
Thu Nov 16 13:09:51 PST 2000

"David A. Gatwood" wrote:

> PowerPC 74xx (G4/Altivec) -- but not in assembly.  There are C/C++
> extensions in gcc (or will be... not sure if they're out in public yet) to
> make this easier.

Why not in assembly?  The GCC extensions won't necessarily work across
platforms (i.e. with the Metrowerks compiler) while it's already
accepted that assembly doesn't... And (to my mind) it's easier to
separate two similar assembly files than C files.  Besides, most PPC
compilers I've seen perform rather badly on FP multiply-add operations
in sequence (see <http://oscar.the-rileys.net/programming/assem.html>
for an example).