[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Wed Nov 15 18:42:21 PST 2000

>Actually, *adding* many small numbers to a large number is what endangers
>you most in floating point, while multiplication, in general, preserves
>your significant digits very well.

Ah, yes, good point.  Now my blood sugar is up (post lunch and coffee), I
see my multiplication argument is fatally flawed.  Yes, I think this is
what I was meant to be saying... <cough> adding big numbers and small
numbers is a source for grief, not multiplying them.

>In fact, floating point multiplication accuracy is independent of the
>relative order of magnitude of the operands (except in limit cases). This
>is one of the advantages of floating point over fixed point (not to say
>fixed point is never appropriate).

Still, has any analysis been given to the required precision and dynamic
range of the numbers used within, rather than assuming floats would be
doing the right thing all the time?  If you use integer (fixed point) maths
you can have very good control over the precision and efficiency of
arithmetic operations.  Are artifacts that various other MP3 encoders
suffer from the result of poor maths and precision accounting?