[vorbis-dev] Optimisations

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Wed Nov 15 16:33:30 PST 2000

Looking through the archives I have seen talk of making CPU specific
optimisations for Vorbis, a la MMX/3DNow!/SSE.  The feeling I gather is to
wait until something is working well in C before committing to any kind of
specific optimisation.  What if oft used and needed DSP functions were
identified and standardised DSP functionality be written for Vorbis?  This
would seperate the basically non-changing core signal processing functions
(IIR, FIR and DCT/FFT) and allow them to be optimised with MMX and so on
without fear of upsetting the other code that's in a state of flux at the
moment.  Wouldn't this be nice?  ;)

If anyone is interested in heading down this path with me please let me know!