[vorbis-dev] BeOS on PPC compile, thread question.

David Mitchell mitchell at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 15 09:20:46 PST 2000

Greetings,

I'm curious if anyone on the list has tried to get vorbis to
compile and run on a PPC-based BeOS system. I've started working
on it, and am running into a couple of recurring problems.

The main one is that there are hundreds of implicit casts in the
code that the Metrowerks compiler stops at. Unfortunately, it
isn't happy with just giving warnings but insists on calling them
errors. I'm cleaning them up, and was wondering if I put together
a patch which changes the implicit casts to explicit casts, would
it be accepted? Also, while most of them are changing the void
*'s from mallocs and reallocs (and hence probably harmless), some
of them are telling me that I'm taking void * pointers from
internal structures and having to cast them, which doesn't seem
quite right. I'm at work now, so I can't provide any examples. I
can get some if anyone is interested.

I'm also getting bit by the lack of alloca on older BeOS's, but I
don't expect anyone to change that since every OS including
current rev's of BeOS provide alloca. Oh well. I'm putting in
malloc/free pairs instead, which should speed things up quite a
bit ;-)>

On a related note, is the current libvorbis considered
thread-safe? Since I'm going to be running this on a
dual-processor box I would like to be able to initialize two
separate streams in different threads so that I can encode two
songs at once. The old 8Hz-MP3 code that I'm ripping out of my
program wasn't, and it was a huge pain to get it to a point where
it was. I would also like the decoder to be threadsafe, so that I
can do two decodes at once for cross-fades. Is this a planned
feature?

-David Mitchell