[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

robert at moon.eorbit.net robert at moon.eorbit.net
Wed May 17 14:47:06 PDT 2000

On 17 May, Bob Miller wrote:

> 1. XML is not a compact format.  Are you planning to run it through
> gzip or something?

I was not planning on doing that.

<rant>

ID3v2 goes through great pains to make sure the metadata that is packed
as tightly as possible into the tag. This makes the ID3v2
implementation a complete and utter mess.

I believe that this effort is not warranted. For example, take your
standard MP3 file (ogg files will be of similar size) which is several
megabytes large. Then take your typical metadata, which might grow to
2-3kbytes if you add the lyrics to the metadata. It might even become
10k if you have sync lyrics in it.

If you add 10k of data to a file that is 5000k, it really does not make
much of a difference. Afterall infinity plus 1 is still infinity.

</rant>

> 2. Will the metadata be in one lump at the beginning of the file, or
> will it be interleaved with the other tracks?

The metadata will be in a seperate ogg stream, and will not actually be
interleaved with any of the audio streams. I don't know how ogg will
package the vorbis stream and the metadata stream -- and from a metadata
perspective I should not care, right?

--ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert at moon.eorbit.net  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert