[vorbis-dev] digital silence; not bug?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu May 11 00:31:00 PDT 2000

OK, I've verified that things are working properly, there's just a few more
bits in an 'empty' frame than I was rememebring.  Digital silence (with a 1024
sample effective window after lapping, used by current mainline) results in a
tad under 1.8kbps data rate (accounting for framing, frame settings and 12
bits per channel per frame to mark frame energy which in this case is 0).  The
additional overhead is codebooks in the header (roughly 10kB).  This matches
experimental results exactly.

So no bug there... but it's good we checked.

Monty