[vorbis-dev] integer pcm decode patch

Jonathan Blow jon at bolt-action.com
Wed May 3 18:45:57 PDT 2000

David Balazic wrote:

> The error is small, but the whole idea behind vorbis is go have
> _good_quality_
> at low space usage , right ?

I should have been more specific about what I was talking about.
Using that floating point trick I mentioned, you can easily make
the numbers round-to-nearest in the correct way.  However the
rounding would be "incorrect" from the point of view that it
is hardcoded into the program, and is not obeying the current
status of the IEEE floating point control registers.  For
similar reasons it would not handle over/underflow correctly,
etc.  (Though if you overflow audio data beyond the range of
a floating point number, I think you've got big problems to
begin with).

But, it can be made to do the Right Thing in terms of
hard-coded rounding inside the code.

   -Jonathan.