[vorbis-dev] ov_read bugfix (fwd)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon May 15 16:24:40 PDT 2000

> Monty wrote:
> >
> > Folks:
> >
> > Granted, this slipped past my review too, but do *not* submit patches that
> > have not been tested.  This bug was a no brainer; running the code only even
> > once would have found it.
>
> Hmm, it looks like this was my bug.  It's clearly wrong.  But, I tested
> it, and it "seemed to work fine"... I was able to play back 5-minute-long
> songs.  I hate computers.

It only affects bigendian playback...

Anyway, I was not out gunning for the author of the bug (Jon in this case),
but simply using the opportunity to remind folks that testing is essential.

(I've had a few vacations cancelled in the past years for emergency overtime
when an enthusiastic programmer checked very broken things into the mainline
of a corporate project which marketing then enthusiastically shipped to the
Customers Who Could Hurt Us Most.  They eventually learned to test after being
slapped hard by clients repeatedly, but the programmer in question never did).

In fact, we should have more unit tests in the CVS source... hm, there's a good
project to delegate.  Anyone feel up to it? ;-)

Monty