[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Sat May 13 17:47:23 PDT 2000

> What if the comment fields were defined to be HTML/XML?  That way you
> could put ordinary text in them - only "<" and a couple of other
> characters would require special treatment.

Woah... aren't we going a tad far for what was supposed to be a simple
comment field?

I may be mistaken on this, but I thought the comments field was just there
to store absolutely essential "I need this immediately forget everything
else" type information.  Now there seems to be a great deal of talk about
putting in an insane number of details...

I thought the plan was to interleave an XML metadata stream with the
vorbis stream to hold all the needless details that people seem to enjoy.
Personally I don't see much need for anything beyond the artist and the
song name in the comment header.  All the other garbage no one cares about
(album, CDDB/CD Index IDs, album imformation, lyrics, genre, beat cut,
etc.) could be stored in the XML metadata stream...

Tony Arcieri