[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

Daniel Phillips phillips at bonn-fries.net
Sat May 13 13:47:59 PDT 2000

Subject: Re: [vorbis-dev] comment field proposal
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 13:35:22 -0700
From: Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org>

> > ...the length of each vector is limited to 2^32 bytes...
>
> You may have meant 2^32-1, assuming 0 is a valid length which it probably
> ought to be, allowing a user to make positional assignments within the comment
> vector, leaving some comments null.

Yes, point taken, correction noted.

> It takes only a tiny amount of code to encode and decode this format and this
> just seems like a nice thing to do for a format whose whole raison d'etre is,
> after all compression.

There are two reasons not to do this.  First, there's no reason.  This is not a
place where saving any bits is vital.  Second, the format is frozen... we can't
change now unless the implications of not changing are apocalyptic ;-)

> Another nice effect is to eliminate endedness considerations, at least in this
> one place.

This is already eliminated.  Vorbis is a true bitstream, and the mapping to an
octet stream is well defined (in summary, least significant bit of least
significant byte first).  All vorbis storage goes through this mapping.

Monty