[vorbis-dev] comment field proposal

David Terrell dbt at meat.net
Fri May 12 14:28:07 PDT 2000

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 02:10:19PM -0700, Monty wrote:
> Implications: field names should not be 'internationalized'; this is a
> concession to simplicity not an attempt to piss off the majority of the world
> that doesn't speak English.  Field *contents*, however, should be
> internationalizable... suggestions on the proper encoding for that?

I can't see any reason to not use UTF-8.  It's 100% backwards compatible
with the 7 bit US-ASCII that we all know, love, and use without thinking.

> We have the length of the entirety of the field and restrictions on the field
> name so that the field name is bounded in a known way.  Thus we also have the
> length of the field contents.
>
> Individual 'vendors' may use non-standard field names within reason.  The
> proper use of comment fields should be clear through context at this point.
> Abuse will be discouraged.
>
> Now all we need are a list of 'conventional' field anmes.  A
> stream is not required to use any/all of these field names, they're
> suggested for interoperability.  The suggestions below are also
> biased toward contemporary music album usage; analagous use for non
> music albums should be easy enough for people to figure out on their
> own...
>
> TRACK
> ALBUM
> ARTIST
> LABEL
> CONTENT

I'd like "track number" for album encoding.  I'm presuming "TRACK" is
track name.

--
David Terrell             | "War is peace,
Prime Minister, Nebcorp   | freedom is slavery,